Saturday, September 27, 2008

Food Finds in San Francisco

San Francisco (SF) is a tasty town. The city’s geography by the Pacific Ocean encourages restaurants to serve up the best in both classic and modern Mediterranean cuisines. Mexican establishments are plenty abound, but I had trouble finding one I would consider recommending (although I am confident they surely exist).

David’s Deli (near Union Square) $

For the ultimate in Jewish Nosh from Bubby’s kitchen, reach David’s Deli at 474 Geary Street (near Union Square). Their homely cabbage soup, chicken salad sandwich, and potato salad hit the spot in the face of the city’s temperamental oceanic climate. The space is most uberly and authentically retro; untouched from the 1950s and complete with a linoleum countertop and vinyl leather swivel chairs.

Delissio Market & Bakery (near Golden Gate Park) $$
While Delissio will require you to drop several pretty pennies, it is well worth it. Sample the world’s best meats and cheeses from the gracious shopkeepers, nibble on a mouth-watering panini, and dare not miss out on one of their decadent desserts. I chose a poppy seed and raspberry filled cupcake topped with butter cream. Delissio is housed within the Faletti Foods grocery store at 308 Broderick Street (at Fell Street), which offers other gourmet delights at a gourmet price.
Philz Coffee (in The Mission District; two other locations in SOMA and Castro) $
A best friend of mine from LA visited SF while I was in and around the Bay Area and I can only credit her for introducing me to this marvellous coffee institution. I managed to devour 8 cups of Philz Coffee during my time in SF. The menu is short and yet plentiful, the staff are very welcoming, and the service is as much a treat as is the coffee. Coffee is ground to order (by the cup!) with blends for light, medium, and dark drinkers. I have my personal favourites, but I recommend you discover your own cup of decadence.


*images have been captured by myself

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I question how much this author actually know about Bubby's kitchen wonders.

Global citizen said...

i have been ordained most honourarily at one or so many a high holiday...

Bubby and I? We go back. Grade 5. Hanukkah. Potato Pancakes (A.K.A. Tha Latka!). Elementary School Kitchen.