during my year-and-a-half of research travel, I am tracking each bed I crash on -- pictured below beginning with my most recent digs. my overall itinerary is:
- until May 2013 - Chicago
- June 2013 - Independence, Kansas City (Missouri)
- July 2013 - Palo Alto, San Francisco (California)
- August 2013 - Washington DC, Toronto, Chicago
- September to March 2013 - New Delhi
- October 2013 - Karachi
- November 2013 - Chandigarh
- December 2013 - Amritsar, Chennai
- February 2014 - Dubai (UAE), Saida and Beirut (Lebanon)
- April 2014 - Chicago (back home!)
| July 2013 in Kansas City, Missouri: Lofty dreams in the Rivermarket borough of Kay See Em Oh! (i.e. KCMO Kansas City Missouri) Bed stat: Climb 15 feet towards your destination. |
***
the last time I pursued extended travel, I totaled 33 beds over six months. "The best bedside view was offered from the window beside my bed in the sleeper class cart aboard a train. The landscape was decorated with patches of neon green mustard fields and, later, an orange sunset that illuminated silhouettes of palm trees" (see http://winstoninwonderland.blogspot.com/2009/04/my-india-2009.html ).
































2 comments:
This is awesome! Care to take an estimate on how many it'll be after its all said and done?
You had peshawari ice cream!!! I had it pretty much once a day when I was there in November. Being a contamination-phobe, and returning to motherland after 20 years, I didn't know whether my stomach could handle local street food. One day, while shopping, I walked by a corner shop and gave in to my childhood craving. I ordered a cup for mere $0.50 CAD.
I did not anticipate the personal dilemma that followed. The shop owner scratched his head and wiped his face with the same hand he used to pick up the plastic cup. He put his fingers inside the cup to grip and pull one out from the stack. He then grabbed a spoon from a pitcher of water, the one he had used all day, and began scooping from a tub of frozen cream. He pressed a decent amount of ice cream in my cup covering all the way to the top, including the areas he had touched with his unwashed hands. He then proceeded to pick a plastic spoon, touching the part that's supposed to go in your mouth with the same hand and inserted it all the way to the bottom on ice cream cup.
When he handed it to me, I had a moment of disgust and concern. My aunt standing next me looked at my fearful face and laughed out loud. She knows about my OCD and was curious to see what I would do. I took the cup decided to eat anyways :)
I am still amazed that it's not available anywhere outside of Karachi, and even many Karachittes have never heard of it. I have always felt so frustrated trying to describe the flavour to others. No, it's not like french vanilla!! Argh!
Nida S
Post a Comment